background

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Never Underestimate the Power of the Thrift Store

So I admit it....I'm a thrifting junkie.  If I admit that it's a problem, that makes it ok, right?  Needless to say, a few weeks ago I found myself at a one of my favorite flea markets while visiting the fam in AL.  It's one of those places where individuals set up booths to sell their things.  I hit the jackpot when I found a booth run by a recently retired teacher!  I (proudly) demonstrated some self control and didn't totally clean her out.  Here's what I found:

*Notice that nothing, and I mean NOTHING, enters our house without Winslow investigating it first.  He approves of this purchase, by the way. :)  And note the B.I.G. mess in the background....more on that later.*

First, I got some super cute sparkly rainbow border (unopened!) for *drumroll* $1.00!!  You all know how quickly bulletin board supplies add up! I'm doing a garden theme in my room this upcoming year and I think it will be just perfect for my helper board.



I also got Chutes and Ladders, complete with all pieces for $1.50 and Hi-Ho Cherry-O (only missing 2 cherries) for $1.00!  These will be perfect for indoor recess days or Friday Free Choice minutes.  I have not gotten any new games since my first year teaching, which I can't believe was 5 years ago, so it's pretty safe to say that most of my games are worn out.

I also scored that lamp and spruced it up by hot gluing some ribbon I had laying around to the shade.  I plan to spray paint the base a different color because I'm not okay with the brown ribbon with the black base.  Cringe.  I love using sunlight and lamps whenever possible in my room.  It's so much more calming and really seems to have a positive effect on my kiddos.

So those are my super thrift store finds!  In these last few blissful weeks of summer before the back to school craziness, head over to your favorite local place and see what you can find!  Happy thrifting!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Cute lamp! I love looking at yard sales for games and movies. I scored a few games this year too!

    Rachel
    Go Fourth! With Mrs. Owens

    ReplyDelete